IMPEx - Image Mining for Patent Exploration
The constantly increasing number of yearly patent applications leads to an increased workload at the patent offices, raising the need for applications and systems that help the patent expert to faster evaluate an application. Up to now, all the software solutions for mining of patents use textual cues only. Hence, important information contained in patent drawings is inaccessible to automated analysis and retrieval. As a result drawings are sometimes misused to "hide" information and to trick full text search systems. Thus the complex task of manually analysing and comparing drawings is left to the expert, which in turn leads to high financial costs.
- automatic interlinking between patent text and drawing parts by sub-part segmentation and label identification,
- efficient search for similar sub-parts of a drawing within a large scale patent database,
- an interactive user-guided search with manual feedback provided by the patent expert.
- Joanneum Research, Institute of Information Systems
- m2n - consulting and development gmbh
- Information Retrieval Facility
Role of the IRF
- Planning and execution of the system evaluation
- Selection and annotation of test and evaluation images and patents
- Dissemination to the intellectual property community